Can Soap Making Be Profitable? Discovering the Business Potential
Soap Making is a booming industry in India. Every soap-making artisan, enthusiastic about creating exclusive designer soaps, at some point, contemplates transforming their soap-making hobby into a lucrative business.
The most crucial question that comes to mind is how can a soap-making venture become a profitable business.
If you find yourself asking this question often, then read on, as Soapy Twist walks with you to explore and understand ways to help make your soap-making business profitable.
- Changing Mindset
The first key to transforming soap-making from a hobby into a business is to understand that any business will require consistent effort, a disciplined approach, and accurate documentation. As an emerging entrepreneur, you need to commit to your business. While pursuing soap making as a hobby, your numbers of production are less, however, for converting to a successful soap-making business, you need to look at strategies to upscale production without compromising on the performance of your product. You need to have a clear strategy in place for promotion and reaching a wider set of customers. Most importantly you need to be well-informed and in sync with all the necessary compliances for business operations.
- Extensive research of the Market & Competitors
The internet is the biggest propeller of the Handmade Soaps and Cosmetics Industry nowadays. Even before you launch your brand in the market, you must invest time in understanding the trends in the market, the variety that your competitors offer, the most marketable ingredients, the packaging strategies that attract customers, and most importantly the pricing strategy adopted by different players in the market.
- Brand Building & Profit Margins
In India, handmade soaps are generally sold anywhere from Rs. 125 to Rs.375 for a 100-gram bar of soap, with companies making a profit margin of 30% to 100%. Some players who have consistently held their presence over a long period, build their brand credibility and gradually may start enjoying a profit margin of over 100%. This is where economics become different for soap craft as a hobby and soap making as a business. While establishing the cost of your soap as an entrepreneur, you must factor in the costs involved in acquiring quality checks as well as compliances. So, for a soap-making enthusiast, it may look like a profit margin of over 100%, but when you enter the entrepreneurial space, your standards in quality, your compliances with the operation, and your registration of brand and company all become part of the start-up expense which you need to recover through profits. Furthermore, the equipment needed to upscale your production, and the space you procure for manufacturing your product all add up to the costs.
Therefore, It is paramount to look at creative ways of increasing profitability. Here we have enlisted a few useful suggestions.
- Buy Supplies wholesale: Suppliers of soap-making raw materials offer a special price when you buy in bulk. The wholesale price of raw materials contributes significantly to your profit margins when you manufacture in large quantities.
- Create an Attractive Product Mix: Establish a variety of options and combinations in your handmade soaps. Add a range of other skincare/haircare cosmetics like body butter, shampoo bars, bath bombs & lip balms to name a few. This ensures you cater to customers with different requirements as well as your turnover is good.
- Set up an Online Presence: Develop your own website/web page or digital presence through the various e-commerce platforms. Partner with online portals like Amazon, Meesho, and ETSY, to reach a wider range of clients.
- Conduct Workshops and Tutorials: You may conduct Soap Making workshops as part of skill-based learning at schools, or special events & occasions like birthday parties. You may also host online tutorial classes. While this will help you share your skill with more people, it will broaden your database and establish your brand’s credibility further.
- Participate in Festive Events & Exhibitions: Events like Diwali Mela or taking up a stall at various exhibitions will help you sell directly to customers as well as develop a ready database for future online marketing.
- Use social media, content marketing, and other digital marketing strategies to reach your target audience.
- Customer Testimonials: Invite your customers to share their feedback, and showcase customer testimonials for Brand building and trust building of potential customers.
A time-tested soap-making hobby can transition into a profitable start-up venture, but the crucial points are to lay a strong foundation by planning correctly. Before starting your entrepreneurial journey understand the compliance needed, the necessary documents, and identify the amount you intend to invest at the start of the venture. Once your paperwork is in place, identify the quantity of your first batch, have a delivery partner in place, and spread the word around. Always start with your known circle, and gradually through word of mouth, and effective marketing strategies, build credibility and keep growing.