Your Complete Guide to using Hyaluronic Acid in your Skincare Products
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic Acid is a naturally occurring sugar found in our body that is rich in collagen and elastin. It is a natural humectant that draws moisture to your skin, thereby making it supple, firm, and radiant. While it is naturally present in our skin, as we age, our body produces lesser and lesser amounts of hyaluronic acid, therefore a strong recommendation for people over 35 years of age to use hyaluronic acid-based products for long-lasting skin care.
Benefits of adding hyaluronic acid to your skincare products
Adding Hyaluronic Acid to your skincare products will boost collagen production, increase the elasticity of your skin, offer abundant hydration to the skin, help restore and maintain the skin’s pH Balance, tighten skin pores, improve skin’s resilience to deal with environmental factors, lessen the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles and stimulate skin cells regeneration, gradually working on skin pigmentation and dark patches. All in all, including this serum in your daily skincare will promise benefits that will make your skin feel younger, healthier, and stronger.
How to use hyaluronic acid?
Many popular brands are available in the market which sells skin care products with hyaluronic acid. You are welcome to buy a product that suits your skin and let hyaluronic acid do its job for you.
However, if you find store-bought hyaluronic acid serum/face creams expensive, you can make your own DIY hyaluronic acid serum or DIY moisturizer at home.
Soapy Twist introduces its Certified Natural Hyaluronic Powder that can be used to make your own Hyaluronic Acid based products at home.
You can either directly mix Hyaluronic Powder with a solubilizer (Glycerine) and use it once it's ready.
Alternatively, you can make a stock solution and preserve it for future use as well.
Why Hyaluronic stock solution is better?
Using a stock solution of hyaluronic acid instead of using the powder directly provides several benefits:
• Consistent Dosage: With a 2% stock solution, you are ensuring that each application has a consistent amount of hyaluronic acid. This is important for maintaining the efficacy of your skincare products.
• Ease of Use: Hyaluronic acid powder needs to be dissolved in water to be effectively used in skincare formulations. Preparing a stock solution saves you time and effort as you can simply measure out the right amount of solution for each recipe, rather than having to dissolve the powder each time.
• Better Preservation: Hyaluronic acid powder is highly hygroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture from the air. This can lead to clumping and degradation of the product. By preparing a stock solution, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator, which helps preserve its efficacy and extend its shelf life.
• Improved Texture: Hyaluronic acid powder can take time to dissolve, and if not done properly, it may result in a grainy texture. Using a stock solution ensures a smoother texture in your final product.
How can I make my own Hyaluronic Acid Stock Solution?
2% Hyaluronic Acid Stock Solution Recipe
Makes 1 bottle of 10 grams.
Time 15 minutes
Vegetable Glycerin – 10%, 1 gram
Hyaluronic Powder – 2%, 0.2 grams
Distilled Water – 87.5%, 8.75 grams
Phenoxyethanol – 0.5%, 0.05 grams
In a sanitized container weigh and add 1 gram of Vegetable glycerin.
- Add 0.2 grams of Soapy Twist Hyaluronic Acid powder to glycerin and mix it well.
- Add 8.75 grams of lukewarm distilled water to Glycerin and Hyaluronic Powder mix and stir till the water is incorporated fully.
- Finally, add 0.05 grams of Phenoxyethanol to the solution and mix well.
- Cover the beaker and leave it overnight to rest, to ensure no lumps get formed.
- Pour your Hyaluronic Acid Stock solution into a sanitized dropper bottle, and store it at room temperature.
- Your homemade Hyaluronic Acid Stock Solution is ready to use.
Disclaimer: This DIY recipe is intended for educational purposes only and not to be used as professional or medical advice. While we strive to ensure the information is accurate, we make no representation of its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Therefore, the user assumes full liability for all decisions made based on this information.